For more than 25 years, I have had the privilege of packing my bags, boarding buses and planes, and exploring this beautiful world with some pretty wonderful people.
We've walked cobblestone streets, stood in places where history was made,
seen breathtaking views, eaten things we couldn't pronounce, gotten lost a time
or two, laughed until we cried, and made friendships that traveled home with
us.
Now, as that chapter of my journey is coming to a close. JUST THE BANK TRAVEL..NOT MY DAY JOB AND NO, I'M NOT RETIRING, BUT yes, it still makes me a little sad.
But if travel has taught me anything, it is this: when one journey ends, there is usually another one waiting just Beyond The Porchlight.
What Travel Has Taught Me About Money
Over the years, I've heard people say, "I wish I could travel
like that."
My answer has often been some version of: You may be able to—you have
to decide what matters to you and plan for it.
My mother always told me, "You get to decide your
lifestyle." The older I get, the more I understand how much truth is
packed into those few words.
Travel doesn't always require being wealthy. It requires planning.
Maybe your dream isn't Greece, Italy, New York City, or Washington, D.C. Maybe
it's taking your grandchildren to the beach. Maybe it's an anniversary trip
you've talked about for 20 years. Maybe it's visiting family across the
country. Or maybe your dream has nothing to do with travel at all.
Whatever your somewhere or someday looks like, money is a
tool that can help you get there.
That means making a budget that includes more than bills. It means saving
intentionally. It means understanding where your money is going, preparing for
emergencies, reducing debt, learning about retirement, and sometimes saying no
today so you can say yes to something you really want tomorrow.
And maybe that is where my next journey begins.
After more than 40 years in banking, I've learned that financial
education doesn't have to be complicated or intimidating. Sometimes it just
needs to feel like two friends sitting on the front porch talking about life,
money, mistakes, dreams, and what we've learned along the way.
I want to have more of those conversations.
I want to talk about budgeting and saving. About retirement and
understanding the financial words people sometimes assume we already know.
About planning for the life we want to live—not just paying for the life we're
living today.
And yes, I still want to talk about travel.
Because a big, beautiful world lies beyond the porchlight, and
managing our money wisely can give us the freedom to experience more of it.
So while one chapter of my travel story is ending, the journey is not over.
There are still stories to tell, lessons to share, dreams to plan for—and
perhaps a few more places to explore.
For now, I'm simply grateful.
Grateful for every mile traveled, every passport stamp, every laugh,
every lesson, and especially every friendship made along the way.
The traveling may be changing, but I'm not quite ready to come in off the
porch just yet.
There's still a whole lot of travel and life waiting beyond the porchlight.

No comments:
Post a Comment